What do you do with excess Asian dumpling skin and minced beef marinated with carrots and shallots? Well, I tried very hard to think of something Asian, but nothing good came out of there, so I thought of my good old spaghetti. Ohh…the taste of tomato-based beef sauce with pasta just completely made me drool. But of course, I had to do some improvisation. Afterall, I do have Asian dumpling skin left over that I want to finish up before the arrival of Chinese New Year. So what do I do, I married the both! hahaha…and the results…I’ll leave it to you to decide =)
Asian style Beef Ravioli
500g minced beef
salt, sugar and pepper
Oil for frying
1/2 can tomato paste
1/2-1 cup of grated Parmasean cheese
25 pieces of Asian dumpling skin
1. Dice the carrots finely together with the shallots (about 4) and mix them into the minced beef. Add a little salt. Leave aside for at least 30 minutes.
2. Fry garlic and remaining shallots with a little oil. Once onions start to turn translucent, add the beef. When the beef is about 80% cooked, add in the tomato paste. Mix well. Add in the cheese, salt, sugar and pepper to taste.
3. Once flavor is to your liking, let cool.
4. Using the Asian dumpling skin, wrap the meat into various shapes (as you like it). These are some of the shapes we wrapped them into.
5. You can boil them or surprise surprise fry them! Both tasted wonderful!
6. To the rest of the unused minced beef, we added more tomato paste, water, sugar and salt and made a sauce of it and had it together with the “Beef Ravioli(s)”. Oh yum! Especially when savoured with Tabasco sauce!!!
Have fun experimenting!