Hmm…there are always times when I crave for a pizza. No matter how sinful it is, it can be comforting and appetizing. When the moment hits, I like to make my Pizza Quadrata. This was a recipe that came from Jamie Oliver’s cooking book. And I’ve got to say that his recipe for the pizza crust is so good, that it’s hard to get it wrong! Of course his quick and easy tomato sauce was yummy too, but I was too lazy to follow his entire steps, so I just made do with what I had available, but it turned out a lot better than expected. The toppings were of course random….whatever that I felt like having and had ingredients for. But it’s great to share what I made tonight…so yummy! I’m sure you’ll love your homemade pizza too. I don’t think I’ll be heading out for pizza anytime soon, since it’s so easy to make your own! Oh, and did I mention I made this with a thin crust? haha…it’s so much better than the thick bread-y crust that makes you feel so stuffed after eating a slice or 2 ;p
Pizza Dough recipe
250g bread flour
1/4 ts sea salt (level)
4g dried packet yeast
1/4 ts of white caster sugar
1 tb olive oil
163ml lukewarm water
1. In a bowl, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave for a few minutes.
2. Sieve flour and salt onto clean work surface and make a well in the middle.
3. Pour (1) into the well (3 tb at a time). Using a fork, bring the flour gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing until all the flour starts coming together. Knead until the dough is smooth and springy (about 15 mins)
4. Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover with a damp cloth and place it in a warm room for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Preheat the oven at 160 deg C
6. Remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it a little bit. Shape the dough into the tray of choice.
7. Dust the tray with flour and spread the dough thinly across the tray.
8. Bake for 20 mins at 160 deg C. Remove the half cooked dough to place tomato sauce and toppings before finishing up the pizza in the oven.
Tomato sauce recipe
1 tb Olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic
a bunch of fresh basil leaves (dried is alright too)
1 1/2 cans of 411g diced tomatoes
salt and ground black pepper
1. In a large non-stick pan, pour in the olive oil and add the garlic. Fry until the garlic has changed colour slightly, then add in the torn basil leaves and tomatoes.
2. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash the tomatoes as much as possible.
3. Once the tomato sauce comes to a boil, season with salt and pepper.
4. Continue squashing the tomatoes until they become as tiny as possible. Turn the heat down and simmer to concentrate the flavors. Once the sauce thickens, turn heat off. Your tomato sauce is ready for use.
Need I say more about the topiings? Ham and pineapple folks!!! Oh, I put in some nice pork sausages too! Oh…that extra bite…yummmmmmmmy!
2) Chessy Broccoli
This has 3 types of cheeses and garnished with broccoli and fresh basil leaves. The 3 cheeses include: Parmesan, cheddar and mozzarella.
3) Teriyaki Chicken
The chicken was marinated with teriyaki sauce for 15 mins and pan-fried until 80% cooked. Once placed on the pizza with slices of onion, the combination is divine…
4) Bacon-Squid-0-mania with bonito flakes
Squid is cut into thin rings and spread all over the top of the pizza, together with the bacon bits. Finally, when the pizza is just about to be served, sprinkle bonito flakes atop the bacon and squid.
Assembling the pizza
1. Once the dough is ready (after the dough has been baked 20 mins), we’ll put the tomato sauce on the dough (on 3 of the 4 quarters) as well as the uncooked toppings. This includes the bacon and squid (in one quarter), teriyaki chicken (in another quarter). Replace the pizza back into the oven for 15 mins.
2. Remove the pizza from the oven. In the quarter of the pizza that holds the cheesy broccoli, add the cheddar and parmesan cheese. In the quarter that holds the Hawaiian pizza, add the ham, sausage and pineapple. Return the pizzafor 5 mins (to enable to cheese to melt).
3. Remove the pizza from the oven. Add in the broccoli florets and basil leaves. Return the pizza into the oven for another 5-10 mins.
4. Finally, add the mozzarella cheese on the entire pizza. Return the pizza into the oven. Once the cheese melts, remove the pizza.
5. Before serving, add the bonito flakes onto the quarter that holds the bacon-squid-o-mania topping.
DIG in!!! =)